Have you heard the ad about saving 15% on your car insurance in 15 minutes? Well, it may take you an hour, but here are some step to shop for a better rate on your car insurance:
- Go to the website of the National Association of Insurance Commissioners at naic.org and find the link to your state insurance department’s website.
- On your state insurance department’s website, find their buyer’s guide that shows sample rates for insurers licensed in your state.
- Pick 5 or 6 with the lowest rates.
- Look up the complaint statistics for these companies at naic.org/cis. Search for the company using business type Property/Casualty, then click Closed Complaints, and then Closed Complaint Ratio Report. Drop from your list any companies with high complaint rates.
- Call the remaining companies to get comparative quotes.
- If you find better rates, let your current insurance company know before you switch to see if they can beat the rate.
You can also get help from an independent insurance agent who can shop several companies for you. (See TrustedChoice.com.)
It can pay to shop every few years. You could save several hundred dollars a year.
Read about other ways to Save Money on Car Insurance.